17 Best Things to Do with Your Dog in Kansas City
Kansas City! Kansas City here we come!
Are you looking for things to do with your dog in Kansas City? If your dog is your best friend, then it’s only natural to plan fun outings and activities that you can do together. (And to see just how “bestie” the two of you are, take our “My Dog is My Best Friend” quiz.) From restaurants to parks to shopping and even doggie bakeries, there are so many dog-friendly activities in the Kansas City area that you and your dog can enjoy together.
While Kansas City is known for its barbecue, baseball, and fountains, its dog-friendly lifestyle is “bark-worthy” too. As your fur-endly tour guide, Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s compiled her list of best (and happiest) things to do with your dog in Kansas City. Let’s go find some places to take your dog!
A few notes about our list of dog-friendly activities:
- We chose Crown Center as the “city center” for estimating the distance to each dog-friendly location or activity.
- On our tour of places to take your dog, there are a few locations that accept pets outside only.
- There many seasonal dog-friendly activities and events, so check back with us again. We’ll keep updating our “best of” list.
17 Best Things to Do with Your Dog in Kansas City
1. Weston Bend State Park: Best dog-friendly hiking trail with a beautiful view
- Why does Weston Bend State Park make our list of best things to do with your dog in Kansas City? The scenic view of the Missouri River! Looking down at the river winding through the countryside from the overlook is just one of the highlights of this beautiful state park.
- Distance from Crown Center: 36-minute drive via I-29
2. Watkins Mill State Park: Best dog-friendly hiking trail with an easy paved path
- Why do we recommend Watkins Mill State Park? The views of the lake, the wildlife, and the songbirds. The trail winds around the lake and has an easy walking path. (Before you head out, remember to bring along all the necessities for your furry friend. Here’s our list of supplies to bring on a dog walk.)
- Main walking trail: 3.75-mile loop
- Distance from Crown Center: 37-minute drive via I-35
3. Red Barn Farm: Best dog-friendly fall activity north of Kansas City
If you’re looking for fun things to do with your dog in Kansas City in the fall, picking pumpkins at Red Barn Farm is a festive and picture-worthy outdoor experience.
Be sure to visit the barnyard cuties at Red Barn Farm too!
4. Lidia’s: Best dog-friendly Italian restaurant in Kansas City
- Why do we love Lidia’s as a dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City? The Italian farmhouse experience, the pasta trio, the brick-paved cozy outdoor patio, and the friendly staff.
- Distance from Crown Center: 5-minute drive.
- The dog-friendly patio is charming but small. If you have a large group and lots of canine companions, we recommend calling ahead to make sure they can accommodate your group.
5. The National World War 1 Museum: Best museum with a dog-friendly outdoor experience
- Why is the National World War 1 Museum on our list of best places to take your dog in Kansas City? Great views, history, and other friendly dogs! While our canine companions aren’t allowed inside the museum, there’s still plenty to see outside. On a sunny KC day, many dog owners take their dogs (on leash) to the museum’s outdoor area to enjoy the views of the KC skyline and to take pics.
- Distance from Crown Center: a 5-minute minute walk.
6. Char Bar: Best dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City with a fire pit and “backyard”
Char Bar Restaurant: Southern-inspired smokehouse
- What makes Char Bar one of the best dog-friendly spots in KC? The food, laid-back atmosphere, and huge stone fire pit! Plus, the large “backyard” includes games like bocce ball, ping-pong, and croquet for the hoomans.
7. Rock ‘n’ Brews: Best dog-friendly restaurant in Kansas City that caters to dogs
Rock & Brews: Affordable, American comfort food
- What makes Rock & Brews one of the best places to take your dog? They offer a menu specifically for dogs, the dog-friendly patio is spacious, and the servers are very friendly.
- Shopping and eating out? We recommend pairing this restaurant with a trip to Scheel’s. It’s just a short distance away.
8. Scheel’s: Best dog-friendly indoor shopping for outdoor enthusiasts
- Are dogs allowed at Scheels? Yes, “fur” sure! Scheels is dog-friendly and offers dogs and their people plenty of indoor space to walk and check out all the gear for any dog-friendly adventures you may be planning—from kayaking to paddleboarding to hiking. Dog-friendly Scheels combines entertainment with shopping that’s just right for the outdoor enthusiast. Too cold or too rainy for outdoor activities with your furry friend? Try Scheels.
9. Self-guided walls and murals tour: Best impromptu activity
There are many walls and murals around Kansas City. Why not spend a morning or afternoon with your dog and check them out? We’ve included three of our favorites here, but there are many more hidden gems around KC.
Raised Royal Mural
- Why do we love the Raised Royal Mural? Because Chloe’s #RaisedRoyal, of course!
- 25th Street and Southwest Blvd, KCMO
- Distance from Crown Center: 6-minute drive
- Artist: Phil Shafer
Kansas City Gives Mural
- Kansas City Gives Mural
- Why we love this wall? The combination of messaging, graphic design, and the bright color palette!
- Location: Union Hill near Crown Center
- Distance from Crown Center: walking distance, a two-minute drive
Crafted in Kansas City Mural
- Crafted In Kansas City Wall Mural
- Why do we love this wall? With its old-style brick and fun lettering, it’s got a great vibe.
- 2616 Guinotte Ave, Kansas City, MO
- Note: This is off the beaten path
- Distance from Crown Center: 12-minute drive
Tip: Some of the Kansas City walls that have been popular on Pinterest no longer exist. The walls shown in this post are intact as of 2018.
10. Nelson Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden: Best dog-friendly outdoor sculpture garden in Kansas City
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden is great for dog lovers who enjoy art and the outdoors too. Also, the iconic shuttlecocks, the expansive gardens, the reflective pool, and even the steps up to the museum, all make great backdrops for photos of you and your dog!
- Distance from Crown Center: 9-minute drive
11. Crown Center: Best dog-friendly outdoor patio area in Kansas City
- Why take a break here? It’s a great place to take your dog for a short walk, sit by the fountains, or relax with a cup of coffee.
- No pets along with you? The Crown Center shops, Sea Life Aquarium, and Legoland are adjacent to the patio. (Pets are not allowed in these areas.)
- Additionally, if you’re visiting Kansas City, Crown Center is conveniently located near the pet-friendly Sheraton Hotel.
12. J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain & Northland Fountain: Best fountains in Kansas City
- The Northland Fountain at NE Vivion Rd and North Oak Trafficway is conveniently located near Anita B. Gorman Park and is easily accessible via I-29.
- If you’re visiting the Country Club Plaza, the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain (47th JC Nichols Pkwy) is a Kansas City icon.
13. Best Kansas City bakery designed for dogs: Three Dog Bakery
- Are all these dog-friendly activities in Kansas City making your dog a little snacky? Stop by the Three Dog Bakery for a decadent treat for your furry friend.
- Two KC locations: The Country Club Plaza (602 W. 48th Street) and Overland Park (7951 W. 160th Street Suite 520, OP, KS)
14. Best dog-friendly hang out: Bar K Dog Bar
Two paws up for KC’s newest dog-friendly hang out! Bar K Dog Bar is a dog bar in Kansas City that combines a fully-staffed dog park with a modern bar, restaurant, and coffeehouse. Also, there are many unique events including dog-friendly yoga, concerts, speakers, and other special programs.
And the best dog-friendly Kansas City season? Baseball season!
15. Best dog-friendly sporting event in Kansas City: Bark at the Park with the Kansas City Royals!
Bring your dog to the ballpark for an evening of baseball! It’s sure to be one of your favorite things to do with your dog in Kansas City. There are four dog-friendly ball games each year, so you can choose the ones that work best for your schedule. Who knows! Maybe your ball-loving pooch will appear on the jumbo screen.
Looking for even more things to do in Kansas City?
You might want to check these Kansas City favorites:
Note: not all places on the list below are dog-friendly.
- Located at the Historic City Market.
- Open every Saturday and Sunday year-round.
- The farmer’s market is not pet-friendly, but it’s still a fun adventure.
- While you’re there, stop by Beignets.
Restaurants: (Kansas City classics, but check with the restaurants for their pet policies. )
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-b-que
- Q 39
- Ponak’s Mexican Kitchen and many other restaurants along Southwest Blvd!
- Blue Koi (for the bubble tea)
Shopping: (While you may not be able to take your dog inside stores, you can take them for walks and window shopping!)
Sightseeing and culture: (Pets are not allowed.)
Thanks for joining us on our tour of the best things to do with your dog in Kansas City! We hope you enjoy all of these dog-friendly places in KC.
What are your favorite things to do with your dog in Kansas City? We’d love to hear!
Doodle kisses and tail wags!
21 things to do in Amelia Island with your dog
So, Amelia Island is on your “sandy bucket list” of beach getaways. And it’s on your dog’s bucket list too! But will there be things to do in Amelia Island for both you and your dog? If you’re wondering what kind of adventures you and your canine companion can enjoy on this barrier island in Florida that welcomes dogs, we’re glad you’re here. We hope our mega list of fun and relaxing things to do in Amelia Island with your dog inspires you!
While we’d read that Amelia Island’s beaches were dog-friendly, we were curious how many other places on the island paid special love and attention to dogs. Would there be dog-friendly restaurants, shopping, activities? With dogs top-of-mind during our stay, we found 21 tail-wagging happy things to do in Amelia Island with your dog.
Things to do in Amelia Island: Outdoor activities
1. Enjoy dog-friendly beaches.
Amelia Island welcomes leashed dogs on the beaches. Many dog owners took their dogs for walks along the beach in the mornings and came back in the evenings with beach chairs to sit and enjoy the ocean breeze with their dogs by their sides. In addition to the ocean views and breeze, there is shelling, dolphin sighting, and bird watching for the humans. For the doggos, just being at the beach provides plenty of mental stimulation. Plus, there’s digging in the sand…which dogs seemed to enjoy too.
2. Take a dog-friendly cruise.
Yes, Amelia Island River Cruises welcomes well behaved, leashed dogs. For pics by cruise travelers, check out #ameliarivercruises on social media.
3. Take your dog for a drive along the roads surrounded by oak trees laced with Spanish moss.
The canopies that the trees made along the roads and walkways topped our list of favorite things about Amelia Island. It was both beautiful and a welcoming respite of shade on a sunny day.
4. Walk your dog on one of the many nature trails.
For most dogs, there’s nothing like getting outside and walking. In addition to the exercise, on-leash walking along Amelia Island’s nature trails is a chance for your dog to enjoy some “scent work” by sniffing out all the new smells. Before you go, please remember to pack plenty of water, dog snacks, and other essentials for happy outings with your dog. Also, as the sign in the photo below warns, be watchful for the creatures who also call Florida home. Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe‘s motto? Safety first and happiness will follow.
5. Bring your binoculars and go bird watching.
If your dog is laid back and patient, you can go bird watching together. According to Amelia Island Travel & Leisure, it’s estimated that there are over 470 bird species in Florida.
6. Walk along the dog-friendly beaches in search of shark teeth.
Yes, there really are fossilized shark teeth hidden among the shells on the beach. As a first-timer, I did find a couple of shark teeth. However, a fellow dog lover more experienced in searching for shark teeth found dozens. He kindly shared the photo (inset below) with me for this blog post, so that you can see what the shark teeth look like.
7. Watch the sun rise over the ocean.
Few things are simpler and more peaceful than watching the sun rise over the ocean. It’s the perfect way to start your day with your dog.
8. Watch the sun set over the riverfront.
At the end of your day, you can watch the sun set over the Amelia Island river. Amelia Island is just two miles across at its widest point, so catching a sunrise over the ocean and a sunset over the water is easily within reach. The historic downtown district of Fernandina offers free parking (yes, it’s true) so you can walk along the cobblestone streets and enjoy sunset views along the Amelia River. It’s a relaxing way to end your day with your dog by your side.
Things to do in Amelia Island: Enjoy some of Amelia Island’s dog-friendly restaurants
Yes, there’s seafood and restaurants and ice cream shops. We couldn’t try them all, but we found a few favorites during our stay…and they are dog-friendly.
9. For seafood and scenic views, visit Brett’s Waterway Cafe.
If you enjoy seafood and scenic views, Brett’s Waterway Cafe was a favorite for us. Is Brett’s dog-friendly? Their slogan displayed on the wall in the photo below sums it up best. Just knowing that the owners are dog lovers made us feel more welcome.
10. For refreshment for you and your pup too, check out London’s Pub & Pups.
What’s a pub named “London’s” doing in Amelia Island, Florida? According to the very kind people we met while visiting London’s Pub & Pups, the owners are true dog lovers. So much so, that they named this indoor/outdoor pub and restaurant after their dog, London. Dog-friendly London’s Pub & Pups offers menu items for both dogs and their people. If you’d like to learn more, check out their Facebook page.
11. Sit under a canopy of shade trees and twinkle lights at Cafe Karibo.
Cafe Karibo offers a charming, natural courtyard setting with shady trees and twinkle lights for dogs and their people.
12. Enjoy a picnic-style atmosphere at dog-friendly Timoti’s.
We’d read that Timoti’s was the restaurant that the Amelia Island locals recommend, so we had to check it out. The outdoor picnic table-style seating is super casual and dog-friendly. Also, if you have little kiddos, they can play in Timoti’s outdoor play area. Finally, we loved the tacos! For more info before you go, check out Timotis.com.
Things to do in Amelia Island: Fernandina’s historic district
Looking for a dog-friendly town with a mix of history, charm, unique shops, and beautiful architecture? Amelia Island’s downtown, Fernandina Beach, is a step back in time with cobblestone streets and storefronts that have character. Here are some fun things that we found to do in Fernandina’s historic district with your dog.
13. Take in a little souvenir shopping.
Dog-themed souvenirs? We found them while window shopping. Walk along the cobblestone streets and check out the cute dog-themed T-shirts.
14. Admire the architecture and Victorian-style homes.
If you’re ready for a vacation sans the cookie-cutter chain stores, Fernandina’s it. Take your dog for a walk along the cobblestone-edged streets and enjoy the architecture and Victorian-style homes, many of which are on the National Historic Registry.
15. Live in the moment with your dog.
Dogs teach us how to live in the moment, so take a lesson from your canine companion and just soak up all the sights, scents, and sounds you can.
16. Meet other dogs and dog lovers.
Dogs are great connectors. If you have a dog you already know this. Most of us enjoy the chance to “talk dog” with other dog lovers, share ideas about dog-friendly vacations, and get the inside scoop on other dog-friendly things to do.
Things to do in Amelia Island: Where to stay
From our research, there are many pet-friendly accommodations including hotels, resorts, condos, and VRBOs. If you’re looking for a familiar chain, Hampton Inn Amelia Island welcomes pets as does the Ritz-Carlton and Residence Inn by Marriott. After much Google searching, for this particular trip (our first of what we hope to be many), we chose the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Villas for its 3.5 miles of uncrowded beaches and beautiful ocean views.
17. Stay at a pet-friendly resort with great views
Trails. Bike rentals. Segway tours. Restaurants. Golfing. Kayaking tours. Omni Amelia Island Villas offers so many activities. Or you can just sit and sip coffee as you watch the sunrise with your dog. Bliss. (For more about Amelia Island Plantation stay tuned. It will be featured in our third article on dog-friendly Amelia Island.)
18. Stay by the sea so your dog can play by the sea.
If your dog prefers condo living, we found these beachfront VRBO retreats during our visit. Through a chance meeting on the beach (stopping to take pictures of their adorable dog Biscuit, :)), we met the family behind two beautiful oceanfront condos—The Sea Turtle and Sea Glass. It was easy to see the love they had for Biscuit, and their enthusiasm for making dogs and dog owners feel at home while staying at their condos.
Below are pictures of their dog-friendly oceanfront condos. If you’d like to learn more, check out these links: Sea Glass Cottage and Sea Turtle Cottage. The units are next door to one another and are located in Turtle Dunes in the Amelia Island Plantation.
Finally, if you’re looking for more information about dog-friendly accommodations for your getaway, check out Bring Fido’s page, Pet-Friendly Hotels in Amelia Island.
Things to do in Amelia Island: Don’t forget the treats and dog supplies
While we were visiting Amelia Island, we kept an eye out for dog-friendly pet stores for those “we forgot to pack the ___” moments.
19. Treat your dog to a doggie bakery item.
Redbones Gourmet Dog Bakery features a bakery case full of puppy treats and also a variety of pet supplies.
20. Stop by the pet store for last-minute items and dog beach supplies.
Did you forget to pack the puppy sunscreen? In addition to Walmart and Publix stores, there is a pet supermarket on Amelia Island. We stopped in for a visit and this pet store had a wide range of dog supplies for anything you might have forgotten to pack for your pooch.
Looking for more things to do in Amelia Island?
If your furry pal is ready for an afternoon nap in the air conditioning, here are some other things to do in Amelia Island that are more “human-friendly” than dog-friendly:
- Go horseback riding on the beach
- Visit the Amelia Island Museum
- Take a bicycle ride along the beach or on the trails
- Try kayaking or paddleboarding
- Enjoy championship golfing
- Go fishing
- Head to Fort Clinch State Park: We checked out the 19th-century fort (see photos below). While it is not dog-friendly, some other areas of the park do allow well-behaved, leashed dogs.
More about Amelia Island…
Amelia Island is a barrier island located just off the coast of northeast Florida in Nassau County. It offers a unique combination of 13 miles of beaches, historical exploration, and an abundance of natural beauty including canopies of Spanish moss-laced trees. Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) is about a 30-minute drive from Amelia Island.
We hope we’ve inspired you with this list of things to do in Amelia Island with your dog. Whether relaxing on a dog-friendly beach or watching a sunset together, there is an abundance of joy…for both ends of the leash.
Be sure to check out our related stories:
Did you enjoy this article? Join the happy pack!
What’s on your dog’s bucket list?
We’d love to hear. Please comment below.
Choosing a name for your little red firecracker of a pup? Whether your new puppy is a fiery red-head or
To make it a little easier, we’ve rolled out the red carpet for you and created a colossal list of names that are just right for your red-haired fur baby. While this list of names was inspired by our red Goldendoodle dog, all the names are great for any breed that sports a red coat. From Dachshunds to Irish Setters to Irish Terriers to Vizlas to Goldendoodles to adorable mixes, there’s a name on this ultimate list for every type of red dog.
Do’s and Don’ts for naming your furry red-haired friend
Before you begin, here are a few tips on choosing a name for your new bestie:
- DO: keep a list. Jot down names that “fit” your dog’s personality. If a name has a “ring” to it, there’s a reason that it is resonating with you. As you add to your list, you may find a pattern. Maybe your list is filled with human names or old-fashioned names or names that start with a particular letter.
- DO: Say the name aloud. How does
itsound after the phrase, “Who’s a good dog?” 😉
- DO: Choose a name that has two syllables. According to experts, dogs
aremore receptive to two syllable names because the length allows the dog owner to add more voice inflection. (For more information, read Modern Dog magazine’s The Science of Choosing a Dog’s Name.) To make it easier for you, almost all of the names on our lists have two syllables.
- DON’T: Choose a name that sounds like a command that your dog will follow. This is confusing for your dog. (For example, “Lay” and “Layla.”)
- DO: Have fun! After reading the lists of red dog names below, check out our other dog name lists:
Red dog names inspired by shades of red
Red dog names inspired by celebrities, Disney characters, royalty…and race car drivers
|Alfred (E. Newman)||Ginger (Gilligan’s Island)|
|Amy (Amy Adams)||Giselle (Disney’s)|
|Anna (Disney’s Frozen)||Harry (Prince Harry)|
|Archie (Archie Comics)||Janie (Jane Jetson: The Jetsons)|
|Ariel (Little Mermaid)||Jessie (Disney’s Toy Story)|
|Charlie (Charles Finster: Rugrats)||Kim (Kim Possible)|
|Clemens (Samuel Clemens)||Annie (Little Orphan Annie)|
|Earnhardt (Dale Earnhardt)||Lucy (Lucille Ball: The I Love Lucy Show)|
|Daphne (Scooby-Doo)||Merida (Disney’s Brave)|
|Sheeran (Ed Sheeran)||Pebbles (The Flintsones)|
|Elmo (Sesame Street)||Peter (Peter Pan)|
|Emma (Emma Stone)||Princess Fiona (Shrek)|
|Fergi (Sarah, Duchess of York)||Li’l Ann (Where the Red Fern Grows)|
|Finneas (Finneas and Ferb)||Scooby (Scooby-Doo)|
|Florence (Florence Nightingale)||Wilma (Wilma Flintstone)|
|Ernie (Bert’s pal: Sesame Street)||Winston Churchill|
|Beeker (The Muppets)||Yosemite Sam|
|Nemo (Finding Nemo)|
Red dog names inspired by famous red dogs!
|Lady (Disney’s Lady and the Tramp)|
|Turner (Turner and Hooch: Movie)|
|Clifford (Clifford The Big Red Dog: children’s books)|
|Pluto (Disney’s comical dog)|
|Li’l Ann (Where the Red Fern Grows: classic dog book)|
Names for red dogs that are inspired by food
|Berry (cranberry, raspberry)||Merlot|
|Cheeto||KC (Kansas City BBQ)|
|Cinnamon||Pepper (red pepper)|
|Mango||Rhubee (inspired by rhubarb)|
|Meatball||Saffron (expensive spice)|
|Melon||Velvet (red velvet cake)|
Love nature? Try out these nature-inspired red dog names
|Cardinal||Rosy (Red Rose)|
Do you associate red dog names with energy?
These red dog names are inspired by the meaning behind this color that ranges from firecracker red to the muted hues of autumn.
Naming your new pup is a red-letter day and one of the first of many happy adventures that you’ll have together. For more puppy tips, check out our article on raising a Goldendoodle puppy. We hope we’ve helped you out and brought you a smile or two along the way.
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe & her hooman
What names are you considering for your red dog? We’d love to hear!
Please comment below.
BlogPaws Conference 2018: Celebrate with Us!
As BlogPaws Conference Speaker Ambassadors (I’m the official ambassador but Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe loves being the ambassadoodle), we couldn’t be more excited to help welcome everyone to Kansas City, give you an “online tour” of all the best things to do with your dog in Kansas City, and help make the BlogPaws 10th anniversary a pet-loving celebration to remember! Also, we want to share as much information with you as possible before the conference even starts–so that you can get the most out of every minute when you arrive.
Let’s start the celebration by introducing the 2018 BlogPaws Conference keynote speakers!
In addition to the educational workshops and sessions, which I shared in 2018 BlogPaws Conference Educational Sessions: The Ultimate Guide, the keynote speaker sessions are not to be missed! I think both (there are two!)sessions will offer fresh insights and inspiration–especially as BlogPaws celebrates 10 years of educating and creating a pet-loving community! Oh, and if you haven’t registered for the conference, you can right here!
7 reasons you won’t want to miss the BlogPaws conference keynote speaker sessions
#7 Learning. The educational piece can’t be overlooked. The BlogPaws conference keynote speaker sessions are a chance to learn from industry experts–to get the latest info about the pet industry, pet brands, and hear how to connect with your audience on a bigger scale.
#6 Synthesizing. The keynote speaker sessions are held on day two and day three of the BlogPaws conference. (You can check out the entire BlogPaws conference schedule here.) The sessions are a chance to take it all in, pull out the pieces that inspire you, and connect the dots between other sessions that you’ve attended.
#5 Trending. The keynote speakers have a pulse on the pet industry and the social media map of the future. They share new insights into what’s on the horizon and they offer up the latest trends.
#4: Relating. There’s something about being in a group of pet-loving conference goers–some with dogs at their feet, some with cats in their lap, and some with whiskery rodents peeking out of baskets–that adds to the experience. We meet. We chat. We listen. We learn. We connect.
#3 Personalizing. Listening to the BlogPaws conference keynote speakers is a time to be a little selfish. Go ahead and invest the time in yourself, personalize what you’re hearing, and think about how it applies to your life, your blog, your business, or your brand.
#2 Inspiring. Through all the group think, professional wisdom, connecting, and synthesizing, there’s enough motivation, inspiration, and encouragement to energize you for the year ahead. You’ll leave inspired. Immersed. Recharged.
And the number one reason not to miss the 2018 BlogPaws conference keynote speaker sessions…
#1: Pet-loving people! You’ll get to hear from two pet-loving experts who work for industry-leading brands: Chewy.com and BuzzFeed.
Meet the The 10th Anniversary BlogPaws Conference Keynote Speakers
Meet: Emmy Favilla
Role: Emmy is a Senior Commerce Editor at Buzzfeed where she writes and edits shopping content.
Keynote Session Topic: How to Create Engaging Pet-Product Content and Connect With Your Audience
Date: Thursday, April 19, 1:15pm – 2:15pm
It will be a treat to hear…Emmy’s point of view on the importance of being REAL and authentic when sharing your story.
Here is an excerpt from Emmy’s keynote speaker presentation summary. You can read more and sign up for her session on sched.org.
BuzzFeed Senior Commerce editor Emmy Favilla shares tips and tricks for creating relatable, honest, and fun product posts and reviews that compel readers to buy — as well as discusses when to be discerning about promoting items — and covers best practices and ethics when it comes to creating editorial content that incorporates affiliate marketing.
Meet: Lesley Bender
Role: Lesley oversees the strategic development of brand marketing at Chewy.
Keynote Session Topic: The Influence of Pets: A Day in the Life of a Pet Brand Marketer
Date: Friday, April 20, 1:30pm – 2:30pm
It will be a treat to hear…Lesley talk about “going beyond the sponsored blog post” when working with pet brands. Additionally, I’m excited to hear her insights into the latest trends in the pet industry.
Here is an excerpt from Lesley’s keynote speaker presentation summary. You can read more and sign up on sched.org.
Please join Lesley Bender, Director of Brand Marketing for Chewy, to learn how pets are influencing the landscape of brand marketing. She will share trends in the pet industry and how you, the influencer, can work with brands outside of traditional reviews and sponsored content.
The 10th Anniversary BlogPaws Conference: All-time favorites PLUS new and noteworthy
Now that you know a little about the keynote speakers, let’s take a peek at what the BlogPaws team has been cooking up to create a 10th-anniversary celebration to remember! In addition to bringing back many favorite activities from 2017, they are adding some all-new activities in honor of the 10th anniversary celebration!
What favorites are back again this year? Here are just a few of my favorites:
- One-on-ones: The one-on-one sessions are back by popular demand! Watch for the sign-ups coming soon. There are a limited number of spots available for these mini-workshops where attendees can get advice, tips, and information from conference speakers.
- Table topics: These lunch-and-learn-style sessions are a great way to collaborate with other attendees and pick up tips shared by the topic leader. There is a maximum of 10 people at each table. For more information check out the BlogPaws 2018 Conference schedule.
- Awards banquet and red carpet: This evening is pure fun! After walking the red carpet and having dinner with attendees, the 2018 BlogPaws Nose-to-Nose Pet Blogging and Social Media Awards Finalists will be announced in a gala ceremony featuring celebrity emcee, David Frei!
- Pet-loving and pet-friendly: As always, the BlogPaws conference is for people who love pets! Each speaker, each ambassador, each attendee shares a love for pets. Also, the 2018 conference is pet-friendly!
What’s new and noteworthy at the 10th Anniversary BlogPaws Conference? Here are a few that stand out to me:
- All-new experiential areas! Like having a home away from home, there will be five pet-focused experiential areas that are new for 2018. I can imagine that the photo ops will be endless! Here’s what you’ll find:
- In the living room…you can connect with speakers and sponsors one-on-one. This area is sponsored by Comfort Zone.
- In the office…step into an office space where you can get a sneak peek into the 2019 BlogPaws conference location. Plus, Chewy Studios will be on hand for photo ops!
- In the kitchen…check out the homemade baked dog treats, snacks, and beverages. These goodies are generously provided by Whisk & Wag.
- On the patio… Mingle with friends and see what’s pet-friendly. This experience is sponsored by Frontline.
- In the backyard…Merrick is excited to welcome you to the backyard where you can enjoy some yard games.
- Sip, Celebrate, and Decorate a Cake! In celebration of the 10th anniversary, Three Dog Bakery is hosting a Sip, Celebrate, and Decorate activity! Three Dog Bakery will bring the cakes, tools, and icing! All that’s needed is YOU to decorate your own cake! There will even be a chef on hand to share cake decorating tips!
- BBQ TIME! Kansas City is known for its barbeque! On Thursday, April 19, we’ll be celebrating BlogPaws’ 10th anniversary with KC BBQ for lunch! Food! Fun! Friendship!
Celebrate with Us!
Will you be part of the 2018 10th Anniversary BlogPaws conference celebration? We hope to see you!
Where: The Sheraton Hotel at Crown Center in Kansas City, Missouri
When: April 18-20
How: Haven’t registered yet? You can learn more and sign up here!
For more information about the BlogPaws conference, check out the BlogPaws conference page.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-blogpaws-conference-kansas-city-mo-tickets-34703852156?aff=KansasCity2018&afu=210380804632Whether you have a pet blog, a pet business, an Instagram account featuring your pet, or you’re simply a curious dog mom or dog dad, I can’t think of a better way to connect with pet-loving people in a pet-friendly city. Please let us know if you’ll be joining us in Kansas City for the 10th Anniversary BlogPaws conference. We’d love to meet you!
Doodle kisses and tail wags!
Will you be attending the BlogPaws conference? Do you have any questions? Please comment below!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BlogPaws. The opinions and text are all mine.
The Ultimate Guide to the 2018 BlogPaws Educational Sessions
As BlogPaws Speaker Ambassador and Ambassa-doodle, Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe and I are excited to be your guides and share everything we know about the BlogPaws conference educational sessions which are a highlight of the 2018 BlogPaws Conference.
For us, being Ambassadors is like being tour guides and friendly neighbors rolled into one! We’re here to share a warm welcome from Kansas City–the home of the 2018 BlogPaws conference! (You can read our BlogPaws ambassador true story here.) Also, we’re here to help guide you through the BlogPaws educational sessions so that you can get the most out of the BlogPaws conference experience.
As with any adventure or journey, it’s fun to get prepped before you arrive. That’s where we come in! With that in mind, let’s embark on an ultimate tour of all things related to the BlogPaws conference sessions and speakers.
First of all, meet your guides!
An Overview of the BlogPaws Conference Educational Sessions Landscape
Our first goal on our ultimate tour of the BlogPaws conference sessions is to share a wide-angle view of the “educational landscape.” What types of workshops sessions are available at the conference? What subjects will you be learning? Here’s a high-level overview of the types of information that the 2018 BlogPaws conference speakers will be sharing!
#1 SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVY
For Chloe and me, navigating through social media without BlogPaws would be like trying to play a game of fetch in the dark. Sure, Chloe can nose out the ball, but it’s a lot more efficient and fun in the sun! BlogPaws shines a light on the social media landscape with educational sessions led by professionals. At this year’s conference, you can attend sessions about Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, podcasting, and more.
#2 BUSINESS AND MONETIZATION STRATEGIES
There are many ways that you can monetize your blog–from publishing to sponsored posts to affiliate marketing and more. Plus, there are important business skills that come along with being a blogger, micro-influencer, or pet industry expert. At the BlogPaws 2018 conference, you’ll be able to attend sessions on copyright, brand sponsorships, pet career entrepreneurship, and affiliate marketing–just to name a few!
#3 BLOGGING KNOW-HOW
SEO? Keywords? Blogging goals? There’s so much going on behind the scenes of a blog, but you don’t have to travel the blogging road alone. With session topics such as developing blogging goals, understanding trends in SEO, and blogging with purpose, the speakers help clear the path to blogging success.
#4 CREATIVE EXPERTISE
A big part of being a blogger, an influencer, or an entrepreneur in the pet industry, is understanding how to tell YOUR story to YOUR audience in a way that they’ll love– one that’s authentic and engaging. You need the creative tools to make your story come to life. Additionally, managing your time and your resources is an important piece of the creative pie. The BlogPaws conference is a place where you can hone those skills and get expert help from the pros!
Table Topics, One-on-One Sessions, and More: Touring the Types of Sessions Offered During the Conference
Now that you have a broad view of the content, you may be wondering about the format of the educational sessions. Are they all the same? Does everyone attend all the sessions? Our next stop on our ultimate tour of the BlogPaws conference sessions is an overview of presentation formats offered at this pet-friendly, three-day event.
- Table Topics: These are casual, lunch-and-learn style sessions where a presenter shares information about a specific topic over lunch with up to 10 conference guests. There are a limited number of spaces available at the Table Topic Talks, so it’s important to sign up early!
- One-on-Ones: Yes, the name says it all! These are individual sessions with conference speakers. This is your chance to ask questions and get input that’s specific to your blog or your business! It’s a great value! However, these sessions are extremely popular and fill up fast! Be quick as a retriever chasing a fetch toy!
- Breakout sessions: With so much to share, BlogPaws offers multiple sessions during the same time period. Each break out session is led by the presenter in a format of their choosing. It could be a workshop, q & a style, or a presentation.
- Keynotes: There are two keynote speaker sessions. These are a highlight of the conference! The 2018 keynote speakers have not been announced yet, so make sure you’re following BlogPaws on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for these announcements. (Or, if you’ve already signed up for the conference, watch your email inbox for information.)
Are you ready to know more about the conference sessions and speakers?
Here are important tips on HOW to get the most out of the BlogPaws conference sessions!
As your ambassadors, we highly recommend that, if you have not already registered for the conference, do so now. There are many advantages to registering. Once you’ve signed up, you can:
- receive weekly emails from BlogPaws with the latest conference news and updates
- create your conference profile as part of the conference registration
- plan and build your personalized conference schedule on sched.org
- connect with other attendees who have registered
- check out the speaker profiles on sched.org
- add the sched.org app to your phone so that you have your schedule at your fingertips while attending the conference.
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s Tip: You can sign up for the conference right here!
Your tour of the sessions and speakers wouldn’t be complete without an easy way to register for the BlogPaws 2018 conference right here:
Now that we’ve shared the educational session landscape and how you can sign up for the BlogPaws conference, let’s meet the pros who will be leading the BlogPaws 2018 conference sessions.
Who are the people presenting at the 2018 BlogPaws conference?
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe and I took a little trip over to sched.org (which is your place to plan your conference schedule, read the speaker bios, learn about the sessions, etc.), and we checked out the speaker’s bios and the session overviews. Rather than tell you about the sessions and individual speakers, we decided to show you by creating word clouds from the speakers’ bios and the session overviews. We thought it would be a fun way to share who the presenters are and what educational topics are popping up! Here’s what we learned…
Get to Know Before You Go!
Want to know specific information about the speakers and the presentation topics? BlogPaws makes it easy. You can…
WATCH Facebook Lives where BlogPaws team members chat with this year’s speakers. They are available by going to the BlogPaws Facebook page. It’s a great way to get to know the speakers before you go!
FOLLOW the speakers on Twitter using the BlogPaws Twitter list.
BlogPaws Conference Tips from Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe!
As your guides, we wanted to share a few tips that we learned at our first conference last year.
- TIP #1: You won’t be in the dog house if you decide to switch your schedule and attend a different session than you’d planned. Everyone’s friendly and wants you to be able to make the most of your experience!
- TIP #2: Choose the sessions you want to attend based on your blogging or influencer goals!
- TIP #3: The BlogPaws community shares notes! If you’re not able to attend a session, ask someone to swap notes with you. Also, BlogPaws (and many of the speakers) make presentation slides available following the conference. Quite possibly, you will have access to ALL the conference sessions even though it’s physically impossible to attend each one! BowWOW!
Last of all, on our all-things-sessions-and-speakers tour, we’d like end with some thoughts from other attendees about why the BlogPaws sessions have been game-changers for them. We reached out to the BlogPaws community through Facebook and Instagram comments and here’s what they had to say…
How Have the BlogPaws Conference Educational Sessions Helped You?
“Our Google Analytics are up 200% in page views for the month of February compared to last year’s February and we are sure that it is largely in part due to the knowledge we gained at our two BlogPaws conferences we were lucky enough to attend! – ChiPets
“Networking and meeting the people you already feel you have met via social.” – Jodi Perkins Clock, Ask Jodi
“I enjoy the opportunity to engage with speakers in a way I likely cannot do remotely. Being able to ask questions and gain insight based on their reply is valuable for me, but I’m sure it’s valuable for other participants. If one person in the audience asks a question, there’s a good chance many others are thinking the same and simply don’t know or feel comfortable articulating them. Additionally, being able to partner the presenter with their visual tools helps to illustrate points for people regardless of their learning style!” – Bryn Nowell, A Dog Walks into a Bar
“Every note I made I still use two years later. It’s gold dust.” – Marjorie Dawson, Dash Kitten
“At the workshops and by connecting with other bloggers and influencers, I learned HOW bloggers and influencers were making money.” – Cathy Armato, Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them
“(It’s) so much easier to focus and really learn about topics like SEO or Branding or Instagram or Facebook in an interactive live setting with good visual examples, case studies, questions, and responses. It can also be really inspiring to see a good presentation and trigger all sorts of great ideas. – Susan Nation, Talents Hounds
“If on the fence, fall toward BlogPaws, every time!” – Elizabeth Keene, Chronicles of Cardigan
THANKS FOR JOINING US
We’ll see you at the BlogPaws 2018 10th Anniversary Conference:
- April 18 – 20, 2018
- The Sheraton Kansas City at Crown Center Hotel
- Kansas City, MO
One Last Conference TIP: THERE’S MORE TO EXPLORE!
Be part of an all-new immersive experience!
Do you have any questions about this year’s BlogPaws conference sessions?
Please comment below. We’ll do our best to answer your questions or to direct you to someone who can!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BlogPaws. The opinions and text are all mine.
A girl walks into a conference…
Sounds like a set-up in need of a punchline?
Better than a one-liner, it’s the beginning of a true story about how life can change course in the blink of an eye. And it’s also the introduction to a pet-loving story between a girl and her dog. (A dog who unknowingly inspires the girl to live in the moment, catch all the fun she can, and push forward because you never know what new adventures lie ahead.)
Want to know more? Here’s a peek behind the curtain:
Meet a couple of real characters…
Chloe–a fluffy muppet of a goldendoodle dog with a nose for adventure and an ongoing obsession with a yellow tennis ball.
Jenise–Chloe’s dog mom and sidekick whose favorite adventures are any that include her muppet pup. She fully supports her kiddoodle’s obsession for yellow tennis balls. The two share endless games of fetch.
Take a peek at the back story…
A whole new world (and a pet-loving adventure) begins after Jenise is laid off from her 27-year career as an innovator and strategist at Hallmark Cards. In the blink of an eye, her world is rocked. But with Chloe by her side and through the support of her family, she decides it’s time to reinvent herself–and to put her energy into a business of her own. Through freelancing and consulting, she begins to rebuild.
As she works, Chloe patiently waits by her side until it’s time for a break–a game of fetch or two or three or four. It’s during those moments of companionship, that a new adventure ignites…and the two become the hands and paws behind the vision for Happy-Go-Doodle, a blog and brand founded in sharing as much joy with others as Chloe shares with everyone she meets.
Think. Think. Swirl. Repeat…
“Wordpress and keyword strategies and how to grow an email list…and what’s affiliate marketing, anyway?” Self-doubt swirls around in the girl’s head like a goldendoodle doing zoomies in the first winter snow.
Chloe’s happy-go-lucky attitude helps Jenise press on–along with her discovery of another joy: a social learning community called BlogPaws.
Through a Google search, BlogPaws pops up at the top of the search results. Like a dog sniffing out a treat hidden under the couch cushion, the girl joins BlogPaws–a premier social media company, a gem of a pet-loving community, a wealth of social media/blogging education, and a gold mine of new connections with pet-loving people, pet brands, and a friendly BlogPaws staff. And all of this culminates in a yearly pet blogging and social media conference.
With some coaxing from her family, she attends the BlogPaws 2017 conference in Myrtle Beach.
Which brings us to back to…
A girl walks into a conference…and discovers a pet-loving life journey…
From the moment she steps off the plane in Myrtle Beach, the connections with cool people begin. Through conversations with bloggers, brands, influencers, and speakers, the girl’s (and Chloe’s) new future begins to unfold.
A girl walks into a conference…and walks out with her suitcase packed full of swag (a.k.a. yummy treats from brand sponsors that’ll make a dog say “bow-WOW”) and her own heart filled with memories, friendships, connections…
…and even more love for pets and the people who love them.
The Happy-Go-Doodle ending?
Well, this story is still in the works as the girl and her dog set off on more blogging adventures together. But the next chapter will be written at the 2018 BlogPaws conference in April!
What will BlogPaws do for you?
We hope our BlogPaws story offers a little inspiration to you and insight into what the BlogPaws conference is all about. Wherever you are in your life journey or in your pet-loving adventures, BlogPaws could be the spark that ignites something new for you too! We hope you’ll join us at the BlogPaws 2018 Conference in our hometown of Kansas City, Missouri!
WE’RE HAPPY TO BE BLOGPAWS 2018 CONFERENCE AMBASSADORS!
Also, we couldn’t be happier or more excited to let you know that we’ll be serving as BlogPaws 2018 conference ambassadors! (Ok. I’m the official ambassador, but Chloe will be my partner and ambassa-doodle!) It’s an honor and privilege to be part of the ambassador team along with these amazing pet bloggers and influencers:
- Elizabeth Keene, Chronicles of Cardigan
- Alison Reder, Sarcastic Dog
- Joely Smith, Fashion Beyond Forty
- Dawn White, Lola the Rescued Cat
You can read the BlogPaws 2018 Ambassador bios here.
Being an ambassador is a chance for me to pay it forward–to share the kind of hospitality that I received last year from the 2017 conference ambassadors, bloggers, brands, BlogPaws staff, and so many other pet-lovers at the conference. (Read more 2017 happy conference memories here.)
Additionally, as the BlogPaws Speaker Ambassador, I’m excited to help share news about the great line-up of sessions and to help the speakers feel welcomed to the BlogPaws community and conference!
Five Tail-Wagging Things to Know About the BlogPaws 2018 Conference
1. Who’s invited? Everyone!
Friends have asked me whether the BlogPaws conference is right for them. My response? “Yes!” Chloe’s response? “Abso-doodle-ly!” I asked BlogPaws Campaign Manager Bernard Lima-Chevez who should attend the 2018 BlogPaws Conference. I loved his response:
“The BlogPaws conference is for everyone. Maybe you’re curious to see what a pet-friendly conference is all about. Maybe you have an Instagram account and you would like to do more with it. Or maybe you’re a serious blogger or social media influencer who’s ready to take your business to the next level. Wherever you are on your journey, we have something for you.”
– Bernard Lima-Chavez
2. When is the BlogPaws 2018 Conference? Where is it?
Mark your calendar, get registered, and start humming “Kansas City, Kansas City here I come…”
- Dates: April 18 – 20, 2018
- Venue: The Sheraton Kansas City at Crown Center Hotel
- Location: Kansas City, MO (Spoiler alert: there are many bark-worthy dog-friendly things to do in Kansas City!)
3. What makes BlogPaws unique?
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe and I think of it this way …
Plus, this year marks BlogPaws’ 10th conference anniversary! It will be an epic celebration of ten years of loving pets and bringing people together! It will be a special celebration that’s bound to become a happy memory for a lifetime!
4. How do I register?
It’s easy. You can register here and then look forward to all the new adventures that are about to begin for you! Once you register, BlogPaws will make sure you have all the information you need–and as an attendee, you’ll get to hear all the latest news first!
(Note: This code is only valid on Network, Blogger, and Small Business Rate. All others pay full price.)
Don’t wait or hesitate! There are a limited number of tickets and we don’t want you to miss out.
5. How can I learn more?
Find out more about the BlogPaws 2018 Conference in Kansas City, MO right here!
Ready to write a new chapter in your pet-loving story? Then the 2018 BlogPaws conference is right for you!
We hope you’ll catch all the BlogPaws conference happiness along with us!
Doodle kisses and tail wags!
– Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe and Jenise
Have you attended a BlogPaws conference? How has BlogPaws positively impacted your life? We’d love to hear! Please comment below!
Do you have questions about this year’s BlogPaws conference? Please comment below. We’ll do our best to answer your questions or to direct you to someone who can!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BlogPaws. The opinions and text are all mine.
Nine months ago when Chloe and I put our hands and paws to the keyboard to create Happy-Go-Doodle, it was hard to imagine that dog blogging would open doors to so many new adventures. On our most recent adventure, we met an amazing group of volunteer puppy raisers at the Kansas City Chapter of Canine Companions for Independence.
By loving dogs, people come together.
As the recipient of the 2017 BlogPaws social media award for best new pet blog, we had the honor and privilege of giving a donation to the nonprofit of our choice on behalf of sponsor, Pet360 Media. I chose the Kansas City Chapter of Canine Companions for Independence as the recipient. Through raising assistance dogs, they give greater independence to others. What a joyful purpose. The local chapter is part of the national organization with this mission:
Founded in 1975, Canine Companions for Independence® is a non-profit organization that enhances the lives of people with disabilities by providing highly trained assistance dogs and ongoing support to ensure quality partnerships. – Canine Companions for Independence
Not to mention, they do it all free of charge for adults, children and veterans with disabilities.
In addition to presenting the donation, I was honored to be a guest at a chapter member field trip. I got to see the work of puppy raisers in action as we met Bowser, an eight-week-old puppy. He was arriving in Kansas City to begin his journey as a puppy in training.
This adorable fellow arrived at the airport and into the welcoming arms of a puppy raiser. Also, he was greeted by several other volunteers and a young pup in training. Bowser was ready with a smile for his new pack. As the team made sure he was all set to head to his new home, it was clear that his journey was already beginning.
Under the care of Sally, his puppy raiser, Bowser will…
- learn over 30 commands
- gain socialization skills by going on field trips to restaurants, fire stations, airports, festivals, and more
- receive special training from an approved trainer
- enjoy lots of play time.
Bowser will be in Sally’s care for approximately 18 months. When he’s successfully completed this part of his adventure, Sally will have done her job as a puppy raiser and laid the foundation for his special future as an assistance dog. Bowser will then embark on a new journey to the North Central Regional Center where he will continue his professional training.
Meet the Puppy Raisers and Volunteers
A couple of months later, I got to see Bowser again at the Kansas City chapter meeting. Bowser and the other puppies in training patiently waited while the chapter members discussed upcoming events and field trips. Throughout the meeting, I learned about the generosity of this team of doers. Through their dedication and commitment to serving others, many of the volunteers had raised more than one puppy. Debbie and Linda took a team approach to puppy raising and shared in Nero’s care. Charon had raised 14 Canine Companions for Independence puppies. What an inspiration!
Charon, Sally, Debbie, Linda, and all the other puppy raisers share their homes, time, and love with their pups in training. Not only do they teach their pups good manners, commands, and socialization skills, they provide for them financially. This includes making sure the pups have everything they need–from food to medical visits to transportation.
Puppy Raisers Support Each Other
Additionally, the Kansas City volunteers have a spirit of community. The members take their pups on field trips to fire stations, restaurants, festivals, and even train rides. Bowser not only interacts with his own puppy raiser, but all the volunteers and puppies who are working toward a common goal.
Raise a puppy, change a life
At the end of the meeting, I presented the donation check to Linda with puppy Nero’s help. As we posed for pictures, I noticed the message on Linda’s shirt: RAISE A PUPPY, CHANGE A LIFE. These very special future assistance dogs would transform the lives of others through their service and companionship. What a joy!
While Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe could not attend the chapter meeting, her look-a-like bobblehead was on hand for a meet and greet with the pups. An inquisitive Nero, had a happy “hello” sniff to share.
THANK YOU, puppy raisers and puppies in training
After all our adventures with the CCI crew, Chloe and I were happy to have met such wonderful pups and people. Because of the volunteer work of puppy raisers, dogs like Bowser are headed toward a very special future of giving independence and friendship to people who need them most.
What a joyful purpose.
Would you like to learn more?
If you’d like to learn more about becoming a Canine Companions for Independence puppy raiser, visit cci.org.
If you or someone you know might benefit from a Canine Companions for Independence assistance dog, visit, Is a Dog Right for You? at cci.org.
Thank you for sharing in our adventures.
If this story brought a smile, a laugh, or a woof, please subscribe to this blog. You’ll receive our weekly stories in your email inbox.
[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Add a little happiness to your inbox!” subscribe_text=”Sign up now and get the latest Happy-Go-Doodle stories delivered to your email.” subscribe_button=”SUBSCRIBE NOW” show_subscribers_total=”1″]
How to Trim a Goldendoodle’s Face: What I Learned from a Master Groomer
Too short? More off the sides? More off the top? As a dog mom, I enjoy trimming Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s hair. Our DIY Goldendoodle haircuts are a time for us to bond, to work as a team. But, when it comes to figuring out how to trim a Goldendoodle face, especially Chloe’s adorable yet floofy, fluffy mug…
I sit. I stay. I’m stumped.
But thanks to the Wahl® Animal team and to Suesan Watson, a Wahl® ELITE team member and Certified Master Groomer, I’m now more comfortable grooming Chloe. If you’re a dog mom, dog dad, or groomer who has ever contemplated how to trim a Goldendoodle’s face, I’m excited to share my story and these tips that I learned from a pro.
Grooming tips and a giveaway with $265 in Wahl® Animal products as the prize
Enter for your chance to win a Wahl® Prize Pack (Wahl® Professional 5 in1 Clipper, Wahl® 5 in 1 Detachable Blade Set, Wahl® Clipper Oil, Wahl® Dog Grooming Apron, and Wahl® Grooming Tote) like the one you see here!
But before we brush up on Goldendoodle grooming, please check out the Wahl® Prize Pack (valued at $265) that one lucky dog will win thanks to the generous team at Wahl® Animal! Enter for your chance to win by filling out the contest entry at the end of this post!
Meeting the Wahl® team and getting an impromptu tutorial from a dog grooming expert
I had no idea that a surprise “mini course” on how to trim a Goldendoodle’s face would be part of our experience at the BlogPaws Pet Blogging and Social Media Conference. So, while I groom Chloe myself without concern about taking too much off here or there, for special occasions like this one (where Chloe and I would be meeting pet brands, pet bloggers, social media experts, and hundreds of other adorable dogs), I took Chloe to a groomer. Then, with our bags packed and our hearts filled with dog-loving excitement, we headed to downtown Kansas City.
A hair trimming tutorial: What I learned about how to trim a goldendoodle face
I had attended a pet blogging conference in the past and I knew that many brand sponsors shared products and tips. However, I was so surprised when, as we visited with the friendly team from Wahl® Animal, they offered to trim my doggo’s hair on the spot!
I’d been looking forward to meeting the Wahl® animal team. Wahl® products were part of our household. We’d used Wahl® shampoo since Chloe was a puppy and her human brother and dad use Wahl® brand beard trimmers.
Still…a little part of me was unsure about asking Chloe to hop up on a grooming table in the middle of a busy conference. How would this go? What would her trim look like? On the other hand, I was at a pet blogging conference! Where was my “say yes” attitude? Why not live in the moment?
Seize the scissors, so to speak!
So, without another thought, Chloe jumped up on the grooming table and we took advantage of a “golden” opportunity. Suesan had such a calming presence, a pleasant demeanor, and a friendly smile. Immediately, I could see that Chloe was comfy under her care.
As Suesan was gently brushing Chloe’s fluffy mop of hair, she chatted about how to create the doodle look. I explained that trimming Chloe’s Goldendoodle face had always been my biggest hurdle. That’s when the light bulb came on and I asked Suesan for her guidance. She was so agreeable to help me out and share her tips on video.
What a golden moment. By the end, Chloe could sense how a-dood-able she looked. I’d learned how to trim a Goldendoodle’s face from a grooming pro, and we’d met the friendly team from Wahl® Animal. I didn’t think it could get better.
But there was surprise ending to the story.
As we chatted with the Wahl® Animal team about the Wahl® brand’s four-generation history and products that are made in the USA, I asked where Suesan was a groomer. The words “Westminster Dog Show” stopped me in my tracks–like Chloe when she spies a squirrel.
Chloe had just been trimmed by a professional groomer who had groomed the lovely dogs who compete in the Westminster Dog Show! What a happy surprise! Chloe’s hair trim truly was a golden moment–the kind that comes along when you have a Goldendoodle dog with an adventurous spirit by your side.
I later learned that Suesan Watson is a third-generation pet stylist with a 40-year career in helping pets look their best. She’s a Certified Master Groomer, a Wahl® ELITE (Experts Leading Innovation, Technology, and Education) team member, and yes, groomer of the year at the Westminster Dog Show! However, her accolades don’t stop there. For more about Suesan’s experience, check out Learn2GroomDogs.com.
So how can you bond with your dog by learning to trim your doodle at home? Here is our how-to video. Or, you can read on for the cliff notes version.
Click the play button below to watch Suesan Watson demonstrate trimming a goldendoodle’s face
How to trim a Goldendoodle face…
1. Gently comb the hair on the top of the head forward. (Kudos to Chloe for standing patiently.)
2. Instead of trimming at the eye, go slightly above it. Leave the lash so that the Goldendoodle has some covering over the eye.
3.Gently fold back the ear. Comb up the side of the head.
4. Comb the hair in front of the ear back.
5. Trim the ridge of hair in front of the ear so that the ear lays flat against the head. Also, this will serve as a landmark to help you round up to the top of the head. The goal is to create a rounded look.
6. Comb up the side of the face and fluff.
7. Scissor trim starting at the bottom of the chin and go up to the top of the head.
8. Repeat on the other side of the head.
9. Create a circular look using the chin, both sides of the face, and the top of the head as guideposts.
10. To trim under the chin, comb up the hair and fluff out.
11. Neaten up the chin and create a circular shape going around the head.
12. Trim the corner of the eye to keep hair out, leaving the eyelashes, which are part of the doodle look.
TA-DA! The finished look…
A special thanks to Suesan for kindly sharing her expert tips with us during the BlogPaws conference. Finally, we’re so grateful to Wahl® Animal for being a conference sponsor and helping dog owners care for dogs in the happiest way possible.
My new mantra? “Why say “haircut” when you can say “hair cute!”
With her new “hair cute,” Chloe was ready for the evening red carpet event and awards banquet that capped off the BlogPaws conference and celebrated pets and the people who love them.
The happy-go-doodle ending: Trimming Chloe’s Goldendoodle face
Now that I have practiced what I learned from our friends at Wahl® Animal, I have fewer “Sit. Stay. Stumped.” moments. I’m grateful that, through our “hair cutes,” Chloe and I share another bond, a chance to be a team.
Here are a few additional tips that I’ve learned through practicing how to trim a Goldendoodle’s face:
- I use round-tipped scissors since I’m more concerned about safety than precision. I don’t want to take any chance of hurting Chloe.
- I give Chloe plenty of treats and praise.
- I ask a family member for help as needed.
- I continue to take Chloe to the groomer for special occasions and for sanitary trims, which I hope to learn soon!
- At the end of her haircut, I tell Chloe how a-dood-able she looks, and we celebrate with a “high paw” or two.
Wahl® Animal Product Giveaway
We are excited to announce a Wahl® Animal Prize Package giveaway with an ARV of $265! Wahl® Animal has generously offered to give these products (Wahl® Professional 5 in1 Clipper, Wahl® 5 in 1 Detachable Blade Set, Wahl® Clipper Oil, Wahl® Dog Grooming Apron, and Wahl® Grooming Tote) to one randomly drawn winner. To enter for your chance to win, please follow the easy instructions in the giveaway form.
Continental U.S. only, ends 11/12/18 at 11:59 p.m. CT. By entering below you agree to the giveaway rules.
Do you groom your dog at home? We’d love to hear. Please comment below.
Welcome to Happy-Go-Doodle!
A Goldendoodle dog blogging about happiness and positivity
Ready for a little instant happiness? Smiles start now!
Welcome to Happy-Go-Doodle a lifestyle brand and dog blog dedicated to sharing cute Goldendoodle stuff, plenty of dog smiles, and a lotta dog love. If you’d like an instant smile, start here!
JOIN the happy pack!
Get the latest Happy-Go-Doodle stories delivered to your email inbox.
Read our most popular articles…
- Best Goldendoodle Dog Names for All Types of Doods
- 7 Fun Birthday Quotes from One Very Happy Birthday Dog
- The “Ultimutt” List of Dog Puns to Make You Smile (or Grrrroan!)
- Best Places to Take Your Dog in Dog-Friendly Kansas City
Brighten your day with cute dog quotes, memes, & more…
- 10 Quotes for Dog Lovers That Remind Us It’s a Wonder-fur World
- 4 Quotes About Dog Love That Are Perfect For Dog Moms
- Intro to Lick-erature: Funny Parodies By a Happy Dog
- Which Dog Mom Meme Is So True It’s You!
Get to know the Goldendoodle…
- What is a Goldendoodle? 100 Dog Owners Describe the Heart and Soul Behind These Comical Doods
- New Goldendoodle Puppy? 7 Golden Lessons From a Harried (and Happy) Dog Mom
- What the Fluff?! Goldendoodle Dog Stuff You’ve Always Wanted to Know About These Loveable Muppet Dogs
- Best Goldendoodle Dog Names for All Types of Doods
- Top 10 Signs You Might Be a Doodle Dog Fanatic
New puppy? Dog names and Goldendoodle dog names…
- 250 Best Dog Names Ending in Y
- 111 Red Dog Names That Are REDiculously Adorable
- 101 Old-Fashioned Dog Names for Boy Puppy Perfection
- 101 Goldendoodle Names That Are Adorable
Dog-friendly birthdays, seasons, and celebrations
- 7 Fun Birthday Quotes from One Very Happy Birthday Dog
- A Dog’s Twas the Day Before Christmas
- Feel-Good Quotes About Fall and Dogs: A Harvest of Happiness
- 12 Days of Christmas Joys for Your Dog
- Why I Scrapped My Blog Post and Wrote This Story Instead
- Best Places to Take Your Dog in Dog-Friendly Kansas City
- Nine Essentials for Happy Outings with Your Dog
About dog blogging and Happy-Go-Doodle
- Meet the team
- A Girl Walks into a BlogPaws Conference: True Story
- How One (Happy) Dog Celebrates a BlogPaws Best New Pet Blog Win
- OVERJOYED! Happy-Go-Doodle is a Best New Pet Blog Finalist
Connect with Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe on…
Contact us for media inquiries or product collaborations.
A Dog Photo Contest to Kick Off the 2018 School Year!
Join in our second annual Dogs Love U class of 2018 photo contest with a Dogs Love U Long-Sleeve T-Shirt and Dogs Love U Baseball Cap as the prize!
Update: Our 2018 Dogs Love U photo contest has ended. However, you can see all the adorable dogs who entered here:
Who will be part of the DOGS LOVE U class of 2018? Which cute pups photos will be part of the DOGS LOVE U class photo? We’d love to have you! Enter your dog’s photo in our second annual dog photo contest for your chance to win!
What is Dogs Love U?
If you’re visiting Happy-Go-Doodle for the first time, welcome! We’re happy you’re here! Dogs Love U is Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s fictitious university for dogs, our collegiate-themed blogging series, and Chloe’s mantra. Our dogs are family and they will miss their hooman siblings who are heading back to school or off to college. But send-offs deserve a special reminder from our furry friends: Dogs Love U and they have since furever!
We had so many dogs and their pawrents visit our blog and enter our 2017 DOGS LOVE U photo contest last year that we decided to “keep the tails wagging” and make our DOGS LOVE U blog series and photo contest an annual event. It’s a lighthearted way to celebrate our doggos who may be missing their human siblings as they’re heading back to school!
For more smile-bringing DOGS LOVE U fun (and some free printables too), check out these stories:
Why are you having a dog photo contest?
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s always sniffing out new adventures and looking for more ways to bring more smiles to your day. A photo contest is a fun way to bring together many of the dogs who love us so much! It’s like being part of the Dogs Love U class of 2018 school photo.
How do I enter?
Email one photo that you have taken of your dog(s) to email@example.com. Please include your dog’s first name and a short description of what you think his or her favorite subject would be at dog school.
What are the dates of the photo contest?
The contest begins now and ends at 11:59 pm CT on September 16, 2018. There’s no purchase necessary.
Where may my photo appear?
By entering, you agree that we can post your photo on Happy-Go-Doodle’s blog, social media accounts, and along with any news or promotion about the contest. By entering, you are giving us permission to use your photo both now and in the future.
How will the winner be chosen?
Photos will be judged by our judges based on the following:
- smile-o-meter (brings a smile to the judges’ faces)
- connects with the Dogs Love U school or collegiate theme
- follows the contest rules
- reflects your dog’s natural personality (no photoshopping or adding graphic elements to photos)
- photo color, quality, family-friendliness* and clarity.
What’s the subject matter of the photo?
Your photo should feature a smile-bringing pic of your dog(s) and relate to the DOGS LOVE U school theme!
Who can participate?
The contest is open to US residents only, ages 18 and over. One submission per household. The photo must be yours. Family members of Happy-Go-Doodle are not eligible to win the prize.
How will the winner be announced?
The prize winner and runners-up will be announced on our blog (HappyGoDoodle.com) during the week of September 16, 2018.
How will the winner be informed?
The one (1) prize winner will be informed via email and will have 24 hours to respond to accept the prize. The prize will be shipped to the winner via the mail. (Prize winners must provide a mailing address so that the prize can be shipped to the winner via the mail.)
What do I have a chance of winning?
- ONE (1) grand prize winner will receive one (1) Dogs Love You long-sleeved T-shirt and hat set designed by Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe’s hooman. (Long-Sleeve T-shirt sizes: small, medium, large, extra large. Hat: one size fits most.) Plus, the grand prize winning photo will be featured in a DOGS LOVE U blog post.
- TWENTY runners-up will have their dog’s photo posted in a Dogs Love U Class of 2018 blog post on HappyGoDoodle.com. (Based on the number of entries, we reserve the right to add or subtract the final number of runners-up in the blog post.)
- EVERYONE who enters and follows the contest rules will have his or her dog’s name included as part of the second annual official Dogs Love U Class of 2018.
What else do I need to know about the dog photo contest?
- We’re all furry, family-friendliness here at Dogs Love U. If we were a movie we’d be G rated, so we reserve the right to expel any entries that aren’t rated G for good…or good-humored…or great fun.
- Also, this contest is not administered by or associated with any social media used throughout the contest.
Can I see the 2017 Dog’s Love U class photos?
Sure! Check out the 2017 Dogs Love U photo contest blog post, These Dogs Love U | Dogs Love U Photo Contest Winners Announced.
Who will be the rebarkable dogs of the class of 2018 at DOGS LOVE U?
Follow along with Happy-Go-Doodle to find out!
Thank you for visiting Happy-Go-Doodle and joining us on a Dogs Love U back-to-school blogging series! If you love dogs as much as we do, you’ll enjoy these other dog stories: