Best Places to Take Your Dog in Kansas City
Kansas City! Kansas City here we come!
Are you heading to Kansas City for a dog-friendly adventure? Or a Kansas City local who’s looking for pet-friendly places to take your dog?
Happy-Go-Doodle Chloe welcomes you to the city of barbecue, baseball, and fountains! As your fur-endly tour guide, Chloe’s ready to share some of the happiest (and dog-friendliest) Kansas City adventures with you! Let’s go find some places to take your dog!
A couple of notes before we start our tour:
- We chose Crown Center as the “city center” for estimating distance to a dog-friendly location.
- On our tour of places to take your dog, there are a few locations that accept pets outside only.
- This is a curated list. There are so many more places to take your dog in dog-friendly Kansas City!
Weston Bend State Park: Best hiking trail with a beautiful view
- Why do we love Weston Bend State Park? The scenic view of the Missouri River!
- Distance from Crown Center: 36-minute drive via I-29
Watkins Mill State Park: Best hiking trail with an easy paved path
- Why do we recommend Watkins Mill State Park? The view of the lake, wildlife, and songbirds.
- Main walking trail: 3.75-mile loop
- Distance from Crown Center: 37-minute drive via I-35
Fall outdoor fun and activities at dog-friendly Red Barn Farm
If your visiting Kansas City in the fall, picking pumpkins with your dog is a memorable outdoor experience.
Be sure to check out the barnyard cuties at Red Barn Farm!
Lidia’s: Best pet-friendly Italian restaurant
- Why do we love Lidia’s? The Italian farmhouse experience, the pasta trio, goldendoodle Chloe is comfy under our feet on the brick-paved patio.
- Distance from Crown Center: 5-minute drive
- The patio has a pet-friendly seating area located on the restaurant’s small back patio. If you have a large group and lots of canine companions, we recommend calling ahead to make sure they can accommodate your group.
The National World War 1 Museum: Best Museum (Outside area is dog-friendly. Museum is not dog-friendly.)
- Why is the National World War 1 Museum on our list of best places to take your dog in Kansas City? Other friendly dogs, of course! On a sunny KC day, many dog owners take their dogs (on leash) to the museum’s outdoor area to enjoy the views and to take pics. While the museum itself is not pet-friendly, you can enjoy the outdoor area and the views of the KC skyline.
- Distance from Crown C5-minute minute walk
Char Bar: Best dog-friendly restaurant with a fire pit, yard games, and good food!
Char Bar Restaurant: Southern-Inspired Smokehouse
- What makes Char Bar appealing? The food, casual atmosphere, and huge stone fire pit! Plus, the large “backyard” includes games like bocce ball, ping-pong, and croquet.
Rock ‘n’ Brews: Best restaurant that caters to dogs
Rock & Brews: Affordable, American comfort food
- What makes Rock & Brews one of the great places to take your dog? They offer a menu specifically for dogs, the dog-friendly patio is spacious, and the servers are super friendly and love dogs!
- Shopping and eating out? We recommend pairing this restaurant with a trip to Scheel’s. It’s just a short distance away.
Scheel’s: Best dog-friendly indoor entertainment and shopping for outdoor enthusiasts
- Scheel’s is dog-friendly and combines entertainment with shopping geared to the outdoor enthusiast.
Best Wall: Raised Royal Mural
- Raised Royal Mural
- Why do we love this wall? Because Chloe’s #RaisedRoyal, of course! Also, the wall is expansive. With the right camera angle, the crown “sits” on your head–or your dog’s head!
- 25th Street and Southwest Blvd, KCMO
- Distance from Crown Center: 6-minute drive
- Artist: Phil Shafer
Best Wall: Kansas City Gives Mural
- Kansas City Gives Mural
- Reason we love this wall: The combination of messaging, graphic design, and the bright color palette!
- Union Hill near Crown Center
- Distance from Crown Center: walking distance, a two-minute drive
Best Wall with a Kansas City Message: Crafted in Kansas City Mural
- Crafted In Kansas City Wall Mural
- Reason we love this wall? It’s picture postcard perfect!
- 2616 Guinotte Ave, Kansas City, MO
- Note: This is off the beaten path
- Distance from Crown Center: 12 minute drive
Tip: Some of the Kansas City walls that have been popular on Pinterest no longer exist! The walls shown in this post are in tact as of Spring 2018.
Nelson Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden: Best pet-friendly sculpture garden
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Sculpture Garden
- Why is the sculpture garden one of the best places to take your dog? It’s great for outdoor enthusiasts who want to view art in a natural setting. Also, the iconic shuttlecocks, the expansive gardens, the reflective pool, and even the steps up to the museum all make great backdrops for photos of you and your dog!
- Distance from Crown Center: 9-minute drive
Crown Center’s Patio: Best pet-friendly outdoor patio area near the pet-friendly Sheraton Hotel
- The fountains and patio across the street from the shops at Crown Center are just steps (or a block or two) from the pet-friendly Sheraton Hotel. “The Link” connects the hotel and the Crown Center area.
- Why take a break here? The outdoor patio area and lawn are a great place to take your dog for a short walk, sit and soak up the sun, or relax with a cup of coffee.
- No pets along with you? The Crown Center shops, Sea Life Aquarium, and LegoLand are adjacent to the patio area.
- The Northland Fountain at NE Vivion Rd and North Oak Trafficway is conveniently located near Anita B. Gorman Park and is easily accessible via I-29.
- If you’re visiting the Country Club Plaza, the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain (47th JC Nichols Pkwy) is a Kansas City icon.
Three Dog Bakery treats: Best edible souvenir for your dog
- Looking for an edible souvenir for your dog? Stop by Three Dog Bakery!
- Two KC locations: The Country Club Plaza (602 W. 48th Street) and Overland Park (7951 W. 160th Street Suite 520, OP, KS)
Christopher Elbow Chocolates: Best edible souvenir for people
- Christopher Elbow Artisan Chocolates
- These chocolates are little works of art that combine creative flavors, design, and the best ingredients.
- Location: 1819 McGee Street, KCMO (Crossroads District)
And the best reason to plan a return trip to pet-friendly Kansas City?
Bark at the Park events with the Kansas City Royals!
Kansas City Royal’s Bark
Bring your dog to the ballpark for an evening of baseball! It’s sure to be one of your favorite places to take your dog. With four dog-friendly ball games each year, you can choose the ones that work best for your schedule. Who knows! Maybe your ball-loving pooch will appear on the jumbo screen.
Looking for even more?
Looking for more Kansas City area activities? Check out this bonus list: (Note: these are not all dog-friendly.)
- Located at the Historic City Market.
- Open every Saturday and Sunday year-round.
- The farmer’s market is not pet-friendly, but still a fun adventure.
- While you’re there, stop by Beignet’s.
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-b-que
- Q 39
- Ponak’s Mexican Kitchen and many other restaurants along Southwest Blvd!
- Blue Koi (bubble tea)
Sightseeing and culture:
PUP-DATE! This just in…
Kansas City is the destination for a new, unique experience. Bar K Dog Bar combines a fully-staffed dog park with a modern bar, restaurant, and coffeehouse. Also, there are special events including dog-friendly yoga, concerts, speakers, and other special programs. We’re looking forward to checking it out!
Thanks for joining us on our tour! We hope you enjoy all your adventures in dog-friendly Kansas City!
What are your favorite dog-friendly Kansas City spots? We’d love to hear!
Doodle kisses and tail wags!